Job Title: Protection Expert
Location: West Bank
Duration: 3 months
Contract Type: Full Time Position
Closing Date: August 2nd , 2014
The East Jerusalem YMCA (EJ-YMCA) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization established in1949 as a vibrant and integral part of the Palestinian social movement. The EJ_YMCA is committed to a unique vision of community based on the universal values of human dignity, peace, and justice.
The East Jerusalem YMCA Women's Training Program and DanChurchAid are jointly implementing a project titled "A Multi Sectoral WATSAN/PROTECTION/Advocacy Action in Area C in the West Bank benefitting the most vulnerable rights holders and targeting duty bearers – Phase II " funded by ECHO. The Project objective is to address the humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable segments of the population hit by drought in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
The project is launching a short-term consultancy for a qualified International Protection Expert who will act as a mentor for national Protection Adviser and assist in devising strategies to mainstream protection in YMCA's work.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide mentoring and advice to a newly recruited national Protection Adviser;
- Assist in assessing protection knowledge and gaps within YMCA.
- Assist in designing a protection training program and developing training materials for this training;
- Supervise and guide the implementation of training of YMCA staff, partners and volunteers.
- Assist in facilitating further internal discussions on strategic direction and priorities for YMCA's protection-related programming.
- Assist in designing effective protection assessment and monitoring tools for that can be integrated in all project stages.
- Provide support and advice to YMCA/DCA management on further protection programming.
- Participate and contribute to protection cluster.
- Advanced university degree in Law, Human Rights or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in implementing international humanitarian, resilience and protection interventions.
- Excellent knowledge of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights and SPHERE standards.
- Demonstrated experience in mainstreaming international human rights standards in programming.
- Demonstrated experience in providing mentoring.
- Strong leadership and capacity building skills..
- Have excellent communication skills in (oral and written) English. Arabic is a plus. Have a strong personality, and have the ability to work under pressure.
- Familiar with Palestinian culture and context.
To apply for this position: Applicants should send their CV - in English language - with 3 traceable references and a cover letter that includes justification of interest in this post to the following e-mail addresses:email@example.com no later than August 2nd , 2014. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
This project is funded by: